40%-75% of YOUR staff are “Floating”: Ready to leave YOU for a better deal!
Shocking fact… but talanet drain info is based upon conversations with a variety of managers in the private sector, hospitality industry/CX and general business market across the board in SA.
Many “Investors/Business Owners ” Have no “Heart”
The real challenge is when investors and business owners are only focused on financial aspects; just the money numbers. This forces the leadership perform to also only focus on the numbers. We know from research that as people climb the corporate ladder their care, empathy and concern for staff below is reduced, and their focus on the cold-hard facts is increased. Investors and business owners are sometimes even more cold-blooded and disconnected from staff stuff.
The middle management, it seems, are squashed and fragmented by their need to balance financial performance and people performance in the workplace. This is not an easy task, and often quickly results and high levels of disengagement, dissatisfaction and demotivation.
When your boss/owner is a “financial-only” focus person, what I call a GREEDER, and the people part of the business needs attention or support, it can be a long uphill battle to get people wellness tuff to happen, or to get budget or support for vital initiatives that positively impact culture and performance and wellness.
When a company, for whatever reason, pays its staff at the lower end of the scale when compared to their industry, it will always create a problem with motivation, morale, theft, service levels, middle management satisfaction and talent retention.
Organisational wellness directly impacts finances
The heart of an organisation is its people… The breath of the organisation is its finances. If the organisation is not financially successful it will die. Just as if the heart of the organisation is not well, it may not die, but being “sick” or “unwell” impacts the financial dimension on many levels.
A high performance organisation (HPO), with smart leadership that intelligently balances people and profits, can gain a financial boost of 20% to 50% in profits. Research from the science of happiness globally reveals that well and happy staff contributes very positively to organisational success in numerous dimensions. HPO research proves it’s LEADERSHIP/Managements #1 duty.
Happiness at work
Happiness research proves that it is smart to ensure that leadership understand it is their RESPONSIBILITY to grow engagement and a positive workplace culture where increased happiness and greater levels of engagement occur.
Evidence proves happier people are: more productive +25%, more effective, deliver better customer service, build loyalty, have increased engagement, fewer sick days, less conflict, more innovative, resilient, passionate, and prepared to go the extra mile for company or client.
The mental balance is quite simple…but invisible: “if the company does not CARE for us, then why should we care for the company?”
Financial-only Focus knows no Heart
We know from extensive neuro science leadership research, what are the 5 core issues that impact leadership-management effectiveness and performance – any leader who does not understand this is not a real leader and is probably directly responsible for the low financial performance of the organisation, because of their inability to balance people and profit focus.
Think back to any training your staff have been on. Unwisely, it was probably all purely focused on operational subjects, with a very little focus on psycap or Psychological Capital. This poses a huge problem because this means that your staff including your management have never been taught how the brain actually operates. And so unconscious leaders and managers have almost zero understanding of how to get the best out of their people in a positive and sustainable, humane manner. #1 Cause of HPO failure.
Wrap Their Mind in a NEW SCARF.
The “mind” automatically reacts and decides to situations, experiences and circumstance and unconsciously REACTS and decides whether it is a threat or a reward. Eat or be eaten! Danger or sate, Care or no care. DO YOU REALLY CARE?
Researchers identified 5 key qualities which enable employees and executives to minimize the automatic “THREAT” reaction, and activate the REWARD response. See core areas below.
• Status – Our social status, if a change lowers social status it triggers a threat response, which causes a negative reaction that impacts every aspect of a persons’ being.
• Certainty – Our brain likes familiar situations, as they allow it to conserve energy. It uses energy to fuse new neural pathways. This allows the brain to run on autopilot. But when a situation changes it requires the brain to focus on the immediate issue and change.
• Autonomy –The degree to which a person can adapt or control their situation, and/or their responses to the situation. When we can make our own choices, the feeling of certainty increases, stress is reduced and our Resilience / Psychological Capital increases.
• Relatedness – Healthy relationships are caused by trust and empathy. Our brain groups “others” as friend or foe. When a person is considered different (foe) the brain automatically causes feelings of being uncomfortable, which triggers a “threat” response and makes people unlikely to accept the change. This creates the RESISTANCE.
• Fairness – The perception of UNFAURNESS automatically generates hostility, and undermines credibility and trust. The important issue is…a perception of fairness. Unfairness in an environment prevents collaboration, connection and trust, which are integral to successful leadership, team working and change. Wake Up! – Stop being so cold, Dtop trying to pay least and get most! Begin to use SCARF at your office to create a happy, healthy, harmonious & productive workplace culture.
Organisational Culture, & Organisational Climate EAT strategy all day!
Smart Leaders know positive Culture is vital for strategic or tactical execution to be successful. SCARF is critically important to the success of communication during change because before the human brain can accept rational plans, it needs to accept the change emotionally.
So Mr/s Manager/Greeder or owner/investor…If you want to generate a sustainable and better return on your investment of time/ money, and show that you have a soul/heart, and actually do CARE about your staff… it’s smart to create a positive balance between people and profits.
In this way “unconscious” Greeders and Bleeders can move towards becoming true leaders; ensuring a positive, high communication, high performance organisation that’s MORE profitable.