What is LeaderShift Power Thinking ?
numerous research investigations show the positive correlation and relationship between mental cognition and leadership effectiveness and success
The Institute for Effective Management (IEM) conducted a study of exemplary leaders. They found that
- No single style of leadership consistently produced success.
For example, in some instances, autocratic leaders were found to be excellent. In other instances, persons who used this style of leadership were ineffective. The same was true of other leadership styles, as there was no evidence to favor one approach over the others.
IEM found that, regardless of the leadership style the behaviors which exemplary leaders regularly exhibited are:
- Reach correct decisions
- Effectively solve problems
- Think creatively
- think on a higher and different plane
Other research into the relationship between cognition and that of leadership success was done by Hay/McBer International CEO Study.
The uncovered and clarified the positive leadership attributes of 55 CEOs globally. These leaders were found to have:
- international adaptability
- were strong in analytical thinking
- broad scanning
- conceptual thinking
- decisive insight
Thinking and cognition are important skills for effective leadership development.
Another investigation of significance to understanding the relationship between cognition and leadership success focused on“power thinkers”.
A power thinker is a person who:
- (1) is considered to be an excellent leader;
- (2) possesses exceptional levels of ability in the areas of decision making, problem solving, and creative thinking;
- (3) leads an organization that consistently has a high level of performance success.
In the Power Thinkers research study, it was found that there were 23 specific cognitive skills that are associated with successful leaders.
The “Yale Assessment of Thinking” (YAT) assessment has been administered to over 90,000 plus professionals global. This has yielded very important information relative to effective leadership development.
Feedback from his assessment consistently shows that many 23 cognitive skill areas require further development to ensure higher levels of leadership success.
How did Power Thinking come about?
Its sad to say that less then 11% of all leaders have ever been taught effective strategies for optimalizing their decision making, natural thinking process, problem solving approach, and creative thinking abilities crucial to leadership success.
A majority of leaders do not have the requisite resources to engage in a path of self-mastery to upgrade a w ide range of areas vital for superior leadership impact.
Reality revels that most leaders have little idea about how effective thier direct report decision-making is occurring.
IBM, has research that reveals
- (1)In the last six months, 30% of those sampled said that they’ve had to make one or more decisions on hope or luck;
- (2) only 24% of the respondents felt that they were perceived as thoughtful when making decisions in work situations;
- (3) 35% were aware of colleagues continuing a bad policy or program purely to avoid admitting the error or that money had been wasted;
- (4) 49% of the respondents were aware of poor decisions being made by colleagues due to unreliable or limited information; and,
- (5) 37% of the participants were aware of poor decisions being made due to relevant information being ignored.
Who is Power Thinking for?
Leaders should embraced the concept of power thinking for two primary reasons.
- most individuals do not know of cognition’s relationship to leadership success.
- most leaders took cognition for granted (i.e., viewed it as “something they just do”, sort of like breathing)
What does it take to become a Power Thinker?
Previous results show:
- (1) Program participants have become significantly more effective in decision-making as well as in their ability to solve problems quicker and with a higher degree of correctness than they formerly did;
- (2)They engage in “outside the box” type thinking more ably and frequently and have developed significantly more innovative actions than they previously did;
- 3)They have received higher job performance evaluations from superiors;
- (4)The units lead by them attained higher levels of performance; and
- (5)Within their respective organization, the leaders personally as well as the units that they lead have received both internal and external recognition for their efforts.
By spending just 15 minutes per day for 90 days to implementing the Power Thinking processes available, most people can achieve great results. Like greatly improved thinking (items #1 and #2), leadership skill (item #3), and the performance of the organizations they lead (items #5 and #6).
Tony Dovale is a best selling author, Coach, Speaker, strategic Teamworking consultant and Results Expert.
Tonys Latest book The Action Advantage : Incorporates the Revolutionary Results & Success Ensurance system. -to book Tony call 083-447-6300
Source Dr. Mangieri : Power Thinking